Thursday, August 14, 2014

Guest Post by Melissa: Utah Books for All Seasons

Melissa is a Utah book blogger who blogs at Bookmark Dragon.  As you'll see, she's a newbie to the state but has already acclimated. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and elsewhere. Without further ado, here's Melissa:
_________________________

I am so delighted to be participating in Utah Book Month this year!  All hail the Beehive State.

Before I say another word, I have a confession: I am not originally from Utah.  I've lived in four different states and in two different countries, but only arrived in Utah two years ago.  Since then, I've worked hard to make Utah home.  Happily, Utah has welcomed me with open arms, and I am happy to be here.

One thing I have come to appreciate about my new home in Salt Lake City is the seasons!  I grew up in California, which was wonderful in many ways, but when you're breaking out winter coats once the temperature drops to a frigid sixty degrees (not an exaggeration) you just don't know much about weather.  In Utah, the leaves on the trees actually change colors in the fall!  It snows real live snowflakes in the winter!  Scarves and hats are more than fashion statements!  You appreciate summer so much more since it only lasts a few months!  

So, with that in mind, I have book recommendations by season for you!  All these books are written by Utah authors as well.  Feel the state patriotism.


Spring
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
This exciting, adventurous, and enigmatic story will make you want to break out your running shoes and hit the pavement after your winter hibernation.

Summer
Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
Grab this book and find a hammock, and I promise you will have one of the most delightful afternoons of your life.

Fall
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Sometimes all you need in life is a thick, epic fantasy novel and some pumpkin pie to wash it down.  This book will make you believe in magic, a perfect state of mind for the holiday season.

Winter
Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
Although Austenland may be more popular, Midnight in Austenland is just as blithe and bonny, but a tad more cryptic than its more famous counterpart.  The mystery and the suspense makes this just the right book to cuddle up to under a blanket while you wait for the snow to melt.

Thanks again to UtahBooks for hosting me!  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for hosting me! I've loved participating in Utah Book Month this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, thank you so much for the thoughtful guest post. I really love this idea of recommending books based on the seasons. I might have to borrow it at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete