Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Guest Post by Cindy C Bennett: Our Amazing Utah Author Community

Today we'd like to welcome Utah author Cindy C Bennett to the blog! She is the author of several books, most of them contemporary YA and the mother of four children. You can learn more about her on her blog. Or you can follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads






Our Amazing Utah Author Community
by Cindy C Bennett

For as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to be a writer. Fear held me back when it shouldn’t have. I also think I had this idea that writers were these sort of mythological creatures who were uber-classy, didn’t change diapers, had housemaids, and every day looked like they did in their professional author photos. When I finally had the courage to give my writing a shot at publication, it wasn’t long until my eyes were opened. Authors are people just like me! I was very surprised to find they’re just normal people who looked little like their photos (we all use the best of the best and if a little touch-up happens, well, we just pretend we know nothing about it). They are moms and dads, husbands and wives, daughters or sons. Most authors have a “day job” other than writing and not only do they change diapers and clean their own toilets, they also have to dress themselves—on days they deign to get dressed and not spend the day in pajamas or sweats, writing.

My biggest shock was the sheer number of authors who live right here in Utah. You mean they don’t all live in New York, London, San Francisco, or Paris? Or somewhere exotic? Sure, some of them do. But in Utah, and even within a few miles of where I live, are a lot of authors, and a massive amount of talent. I can’t believe the brilliant writers who live close, who make the bestseller’s lists not only in New York but even on Amazon amongst the millions of books there.

I find myself grateful to be counted among the elite but numerous Utah authors, many of whom I now call friends. Book signings that I didn’t know happened here are nearly a weekly event for readers who wish to meet their favorite writer. And the support system among writers is like nothing I’ve ever known.

So, if you live in Utah, next time you’re at the grocery store, you might be walking right past an author that you admire—and they might even be buying diapers.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love that last line in particular. You might very well be walking by a Utah author at any point in your day! I think it's lovely that we have so many writers here.

    ReplyDelete