Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Utah Author Guest Post: Rebecca Jamison



Rebecca H. Jamison is a full-time mom with a passion for writing novels, running and dancing. She is the author of Persuasion: A Latter-day Tale and Emma: A Latter-day Tale. You can learn more about her at rebeccahjamison.com.








Check Out Utah Libraries
Guest Post by Rebecca H. Jamison

I’ve visited libraries all over the country. Don’t ask me why. When I visit a town, I visit the library. I’ve been to libraries in the East, the Mid-West, and the South-West. And I always come away with gratitude for my own library. Utah libraries are spectacular! They have the latest releases in books, movies, and magazines. They’re well staffed. And they’re fun places to be.

A visit to Salt Lake City is not complete until you visit the Salt Lake City Library. It’s exciting just to walk through the building with its glass walls and artistic displays. Don’t get me started on the selection of books. They may not have every book in the world, but they come close. My kids love going there because of their fun reading rooms for children.



Recently, I walked the halls of the old Brigham Young Academy Building, which is now the Provo City Library. Though it was a Friday Evening, the place was packed. It’s a small library compared to mine; however, the selection was up to date, and the children’s section was enormous.

I’m lucky enough to live within the boundaries of the Salt Lake County Library System. My card allows me to go to any of the nineteen libraries throughout Salt Lake County. If my home library doesn’t have the book, magazine, or movie I want, I simply place it on hold. The item usually arrives at my home library within a week. The library system also provides a summer reading program, as well as many online resources.

As I think about how I became an author, I have to admit that it probably would not have happened without my library. To be able to write well, you have to read well. While I wrote my first published novel, I sought inspiration from the shelves of my library. Reading great books helped me get through my many writer’s blocks. When I didn't have time to sit down and read, I listened to audio books as I worked around the house. The library even helped me after I finished writing. It offered me a variety of books about how to publish.

Do you have a favorite library? How has it helped you?





3 comments:

  1. I love the Salt Lake Library. I was there at the final Harry Potter release and my book came from Amazon! It's such a great building and they work hard to make it fun for everyone to enjoy reading. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Salt Lake Library. I was there at the final Harry Potter release and my book came from Amazon! It's such a great building and they work hard to make it fun for everyone to enjoy reading. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love libraries. Any place that houses books is good by me. But there is something particularly lovely about libraries - a free place where people can get books! My local library is just a few years old and very small, but I take my daughter there often. And it is a magical place for her.

    Thanks for the post, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete